Wednesday, June 25, 2008

This one time....in Central Park....

Last night I had one of those perfect New York nights that people hear about in movies. Kido, Matty Brand, Kristina, Yaz and some of our other NY girls decided to go to Central Park and listen to the New York Philharmonic play. I thought maybe there would be a few hundred people and there was something insane like hundreds of thousands of people. Or another large number. the weather was absolutely perfect--warm (until the sun went down), not humid, and sunny. We had wine, fruit, cheese, crackers, veges, dip, M&M's.....it was quite the spread. I had eaten dinner before I came but sure enough if I didn't dig in...and keep digging in...and digging in some more....it was just all so good!

Someone tipped over the wine and it fell on a paper plate so the paper plate filled with wine. I was not about to let that wine go to waste so I made Yazzi drink it off the plate. There's something very important about this picture though. Do you see that thing on my cheek? Here--look closer.
Do you see that? That, ladies and gentleman, is a dimple. A real, bonafide dimple. All my life I've had a little wrinkle there and everyone would say "oh, that's not a dimple." My sister has the most amazing dimples and I've always been so jealous. Well look right there---that fold of skin....well....it could just be a fold of skin. It could also be a DIMPLE!! I'm officially attractive.

The darling Kristina and Yazzi. You can see the New York skyline in the background.

One of the girls' friends was trying to find us (seriously, there were THAT many people) and since it was dark we decided to fore go the old fashioned lighters and jump into the 21st century. Or the 20th. Which century are we in again? Also, I have no idea what Kido is doing in this picture. She said that she was yawning. I like to pretend that she was just REALLY excited about the song the Philharmonic was playing.

I don't remember what Yazzi and I were doing here. All I can see is the hummus, cookies, and M&M wrappers at my feet. Oh I'm so ashamed.....

There were fireworks after but I decided to bounce and beat the traffic that was sure to happen. I walked away from the park listening to the Philharmonic playing Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" as their encore (I would have much rather heard Purple Rain) and fireworks exploding overhead. It was totally a magical moment. I'm really happy I went to this event and will not forget it any time soon!

3 comments:

Iknowaboutpopular said...

Sorry to hear about your birth defect...
A dimple is any sort of indentation; most people use the term to refer specifically to indentations in the skin of people, particularly on the cheeks. Dimpled cheeks are considered attractive in many cultures, and it should be fairly easy to find someone with dimples in your neighborhood, since dimples are a genetic trait. Most dimples are actually caused by a birth defect.
The most common cause of dimples is a shortened muscle, which explains why dimples are not always apparent at rest, since muscles are typically in their shortened state at rest. In the face, shorter face muscles pull at the skin, especially when someone smiles, creating a classic dimple. Over time, the muscles of the face can slowly stretch out, which is why some people have dimples when they are young, but lose them as they age. Dimples can also form on other body parts, like the buttocks. Dimples in other regions are not as highly prized as those on the face, perhaps because your face is readily visible, while other body parts are not.
The genetics of dimples is actually rather interesting. Dimples are a dominant trait, which means that it only takes one gene to inherit dimples. If neither of your parents has dimples, you shouldn't have them either, unless you experience a spontaneous mutation. If one of your parents has dimples, you have a 25-50% chance of inheriting the gene, since it means that parent inherited the gene from one or both parents. If both of your parents have dimples, you have a 50-100% chance of inheriting the gene, depending on how they inherited their dimple genes.

doug said...

I'm not convinced that's actually a dimple. I'm also not convinced you're mentally healthy: Do you zoom in to ALL your pictures looking for signs of dimpling?!

Yasi said...

I don't know what we were doing there either, but it sure looks like fun!