Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Don't Do Sadness

My eyes has been twitching for the past half an hour. Does that mean I'm dying? Having a seizure? Getting sick? What is wrong with me?! And how do I get rid of it? It's driving me a little crazy.

Won the [title of show] lottery with Page Six last night. I knew that he would like the show but I was surprised at just how much he loved it! Spreadin' the [tos] love, spreadin' the love...

Dinner with Scott Evans tonight and then watching So You Think You Can Dance. Someone, who shall remain nameless, said that he has no reason to watch now that Will is gone. WHAT?! Who cares about Will? Good riddance, is what I say. We've still got Katee, Mark, Chelsea, and even Courtney. There's still plenty of SYTYCD goodness.

I've been a little sad today. I don't know why. Sometimes you just feel sad, with no reason. I've also been listening to a lot of Alanis today. Because of these two occurrences, I've compiled a list of the top 6 saddest Alanis songs. Yup, I'm that bored.

6. Mary Jane - "Jagged Little Pill"
Sample lyric - "I hear you're countin' sheep again, Mary Jane
What's the point of trying to dream any more
I hear you're losing weight again Mary Jane
You ever wonder who you're losing it for."

By far my favorite Alanis song, this is always the one I come to when I feel like singing loud...in my girl voice, of course.

5. That Particular Time- Under Rug Swept
Sample Lyric - At that particular time love encouraged me to leave
At that particular moment I knew that staying with you meant deserting me
That particular month was harder than you'd believe but I still left
At that particular time

This was like, my sad boy anthem my Junior year of college. I remember taking this particular lyric (like how I did that?) and using it for a voice class exercise where I had to record it over and over again. Everyone else chose things from plays, or books...I chose an Alanis lyric. Go figure.

4. That I Would Be Good - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
Sample Lyric - That I would be good, even if I did nothing
That I would be good, even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good, even if I gained ten pounds

Word is that Alanis wrote this during a party, while crying in her closet. It's safe to say she didn't write it in New York...I don't even have a closet to put close in, much less cry in!

3. Torch - Flavors of Entanglement
Sample Lyric - I miss your smell and your style and your pure abiding ways
miss your approach to life and your body in my bed

I couldn't breathe the first time I heard this song. It's almost as if you can hear the heartbreak in her voice. Such a sad song!

2. Not As We - Flavors of Entanglement
Sample Lyric - Day one, day one start over again
Step one, step one I'm barely making sense
For now I'm faking it, til I'm pseudo-making it
From scratch begin, again
but this time I as I, and not as we

*sobs*

1. Simple Together - Feast on Scraps
Sample Lyric - You've been my golden best friend
now with post-demise at hand
I can't go to you for consolation
Cause we're off limits during this transition

I thought we'd be simple together
I thought we'd be happy together
I thought we'd be precious together
but I was sadly mistaken

I've listened to this song many a time after breakups. The worst though, was when the song was quoted to me directly after a breakup. I was like "how dare you use my Alanis against me?!" Ugh. Such manipulation of the heart. Brutal.

I encourage you to check out these six songs, for any day that you're feeling a little blue. They'll make you cry fo sho, and then you'll feel better and then you can thank me. So you're welcome.

Geez, what a depressing post. I promise to be more exciting tomorrow. Don't slit your wrists, ya'll.

And for the record, my eye is still twitching.

1 comment:

Jwise said...

Mary Jane is my fav song! So haunting!