Friday, July 18, 2008

Rubbin' Elbows

Happy Friday ya'll! This week has gone by so fast and I've been drunk three out of the four nights so far--yikes! Heading to CT with BFF today and I can't even tell you how excited I am to get out of the city for a day. We're going boating tomorrow and it should be a very fun time. I need some sun--desperately!!

Last night I attended opening night of [title of show], the new Broadway musical. I'll wait til Tuesday to review the show (BFF and I are seeing it on Monday, he hasn't seen it yet) I can tell you about the after-party here because that he DID attend! It was my first Broadway opening so I didn't have much to go off of but here are some things I liked about the after-party:

1. Free Booze
Champagne? Another drink for you? Uh...YES PLEASE!

2. Free food
Lobster quesedilla? Filet Mignon potato cakes? Uh...YES PLEASE!

3. Cute Broadway Boys
It was like the trippiest dream I've ever had. Hanging out with Ant Rapp and talking to people like Stephen Oremus (musical director for Avenue Q, Wicked, and the new 9 to 5)

and Barret Foa


Both nice guys, both hottie mchotties. Anthony was heading out to see the midnight showing of "Batman" and mentioned that Spencer should come to the party to keep me company. I didn't know if we could sneak him in but I thought it was worth it to try! As I was walking Anthony downstairs to meet Spencer, who did I run into in the lobby but the cast of [title of show!] What was kind of flattering was the fact that Susan was walking over to give an interview, she saw me and waved and whispered "Brian!" I felt important. It was nice to be able to talk to them before the insanity upstairs happened. And BFF was with me, so it was extra special. As the party progressed I got the chance to talk to:

Cheyenne Jackson, from "Xanadu,"

The writer of "In the Heights," Lin-Manuel Miranda

I also was able to express my love to "In the Heighters" Janet Decal, Robin De Jesus, Andrea Burns, and Nina LaFarga. And those names mean nothing to everyone but two of you.


Megan Hilty, star of Wicked and 9 to 5. I also said "God Bless You" to her "9 to 5" castmate Stephanie J. Block, formerly of Wicked and The Pirate Queen.


I saw Marc Shaiman (Tony winner for "Hairspray"), Ann Harada (Avenue Q), Betty Buckley (freakin' Betty Buckley), and Bob Martin (writer of Drowsy Chaperone). It was one of the most surreal moments of my life, mingling with all of these Broadway legends. Maybe someday it'll be more "oh my God, Cheyenne, so good to see you again!" instead of "Um....Mr. Jackson...um...I love your work." One can dream, can't he?

1 comment:

Where in the World is Kevin? said...

i think it's all the same guy, Brian.

Sounds like a fun night, glad you had such a blast.