Thursday, January 8, 2009

Video Killed the Radio Star

Do you ever wish your life was a music video? I mean, just think about it. Me getting a sandwich--boring, right? Well thrown in a little "You Oughta Know" and it's magically better! People throwing sandwich meat all over the place when the chorus comes in, walking at a fast pace down the cafeteria during the verses....it's magic! New York lends itself to many fantastic "music video" opportunities--walking down the street, shopping at Gristedes, riding the Subway, dancing in a club...etc. There are a bunch of songs that, when they come on my Ipod, I immediately imagine I'm in a music video. The ones I am including already have a music video made but sometimes it's fun to imagine things another way.
Britney Spears: I'm a Slave 4 U

I pretend I'm in this video when I am: Walking through sewer steam on a hot summer day.

American Boy - Estelle feat. Kanye West

I pretend I'm in this video when I am: Running on the treadmill. Or shopping in Abercrombie and Fitch.

Kate Nash: Merry Happy

I pretend I'm in this music video when: I see goldfish?

Jonas Brothers: Lovebug

I pretend I'm this video when I am: : Hailing a taxi. Then, when the chorus gets really loud and exciting, the video will cut to riding in said taxi. It's brilliant just thinking about it.

Pink: So What

I pretend I'm in this video when I am: Walking down the street behind an ex. Which doesn't happen often. But if it did, you can bet I would pretend I was in a "So What" video. Actually, this song is a great one to sing while walking down the street by yourself. The whole "na na na na na na na" gives your walk a great cadence to step to.

Beyonce: Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)

I pretend I'm in this video: At any point in the day really. At the gym, sitting at my desk, putting away my laundry. It lends itself to many different music video opportunities.

Leonna Lewis: Bleeding Love

I pretend I'm in this video when: I have enough room to do the dance that Chelsea and Mark did from "So You Think You Can Dance."

Britney Spears: Circus

I pretend I'm in this video when: Dirt is around and I can kick it just like Britney does.

Adele: Chasing Pavements

I pretend I'm in this video when I am: Chasing Pavements. Obviously. Duh.

Mika: Happy Ending

I pretend I'm in this video when: I "wake up in the morning and stumble on my life." You know, I "can't get no love without sacrifice."

Rihanna: Disturbia

I pretend I'm in this video when: I leave my house in the morning and see the craziness that is New York. The "Bum bum bee dum" is the perfect backdrop to a NYC morning.

Jason Mraz: I'm Yours

I pretend I'm in this video anytime I: See a guitar I can pick up and play. Or banjo. Or recorder. Or any instrument really.

I'm curious to know. What song makes you want to create your own music video while you're walking down the street?

1 comment:

Jwise said...

Oh, please. you don't need dirt to be around to kick it like Britney - I've seen you air kick pretend dirt on the subway in hopes of "being in the center of a ring, just like a Circus" :)