Friday, June 26, 2009

Hmm...What to Blog About...

Man oh man...slow day. The boss men are out of the office today, it's rainy and drab outside, and there's not a whole lot in the news to report. I mean, today is "National Bring Your Dog to Work Day."


The R train was voted the dirtiest Subway train, while the 7 train was voted the cleanest


and McHottie Jonathan went home on "So You Think You Can Dance" last night.


That's really about it...I don't know what else there is to...talk about....oh wait--



Hey you guys, did you hear that Danny Gokey's wi....I mean, that Michael Jackson died? But...wait--didn't he die like five years ago? Look, I'm not saying this isn't sad and this isn't a tragedy, the guy was only 50 years old. But seriously? Is anyone truly surprised by this? He's been losing it for the past 15 years--maybe more! I'm not denying that he was a legend and that he changed the face of Pop music, but he was our generation's Elvis--you loved him when he was on top, and hated him when he was on the down and out. I think my former USU Professor Kevin said it best on his blog:

"Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett both died today and you would think a war was lost. There is nothing else on the news. I went to Facebook and that's all people are posting about. It saddens me but not in the way you may think. There are two major wars the US is involved in going on right now, the green revolution in Iran who's citizens are fighting for their democratic future, problems of genocide in east Africa, unemployment world-wide, nuclear games being played by North Korea - but the only thing to get Americans moved is the death of a controversial pop singer and a model turned mediocre actress turned cancer educator."

And also, all of these people who are like "too soon" when a joke about MJ is made. F'real? How could you NOT make light of this situation? It was a tragedy, but the guy was a walking freak show. I'm not going to pretend to be sad or broken up about it because I've been making fun of him for years--but that doesn't mean that I don't have a heart in there somewhere. Am I weirded out that an icon of my generation is gone? Sure. Do I feel sad for his friends and family? Well, of course. I think I'm more bugged about the people that are pretending to be heartbroken--really? You're really going to go home and shed a tear and quote MJ on your Facebook for the next week? Ai Dios...

My friend Ryan took it a step further than I did (I made one simple Billie Jean joke) taking to his Twitter and producing some of the funniest one-liners I've read in I don't know how long.


"What a terrible day for celebrity deaths, as today saw the deaths of two white women"

"I think I just heard Patrick Swayze go, "Whew..."

"Farrah Fawcett couldn't have chosen a worst time to die, & Governor Sanford couldn't have chosen a better time to announce his affair"

"I wonder who gets Michael's nose?"

"A text message I just received from someone, in response to Michael Jackson's death: "No way. Can he even die?"

"Okay Children, you can come out and play now"


Awful? Yes. Did you just laugh? Probably. Don't blame me, I'm merely the messenger. As it is though, I really just hope that the media outlets focus more on the legacy and music catalog that he left us and less on the controversies of his life. And let's face it--there were a bunch. But there is no denying his contribution to pop music and music in general. And I'll leave it at that.

Oh, but Corey Feldmann?


No.

4 comments:

Kevin Doyle said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, wait...

Thanks for that.

I'm betting that, like Elvis, it was some form of drug abuse that stopped his heart. Maybe we should start a betting pool...

Anonymous said...

You are saying exactly what I've been thinking - I mean not 10 minutes before his Death - Perez was posting what a joke it was that he was rushed to the hospital - and i laughed - then felt bad that then he died.

It is a very sad day when you realize that your society is screwed up - so then I just have a bottle of vodka and call it a night.

XOXO Q

Katie said...

I thought MJ had Horcruxes...
and how lame can we be, SERIOUSLY America?! SERIOUSLY?!

doug said...

My favorite: "I think Patrick Swayze just said, 'Whew...'" I love it because after Farrah Fawcett died, I was talking to a friend at work, saying, "You know, these things come in threes... Who will be the next big entertainment legend to die? I'm thinking Patrick Swayze." And I was saying that at probably the exact moment that MJ was being taken to the hospital!